- The first book length study of the history of Confederate camp slaves and the myth of the black Confederate soldier.
- What roles did free and enslaved blacks perform in the Confederate war effort?
- How did Confederate soldiers understand the place of slaves in camp, on the march, in the heat of battle and how did veterans remember these men decades after the war?
- When did the myth of the black Confederate soldier first emerge and why does it persist to this day?
- Explore these and many more questions.
Order direct from UNC Press • Amazon • Barnes & Noble • Abe Books