This morning the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports major cuts at the Museum of the Confederacy. They include the following:
- Museum will be closed on Wednesdays between Labor Day and Memorial Day
- White House will be closed to public tours during the months of January and February
- Salaries of its full-time employees have been frozen
- Quarterly magazine will be published three times a year while the annual issue has been "axed"
- All new exhibits will be postponed indefinitely ("Virginians in the Confederacy" will proceed as it is privately funded)
One wonders what it will take to get the Museum back on its feet. Each of us can do our part by signing up for an annual membership. This is a valuable resource for those of us who have a serious interest in the Civil War and the history of the South. The Museum is in no way a mouthpiece for neo-Confederate organizations. Their exhibits are first-rate and it houses some of the most important artifacts from American history.