• Chris Meekins Mar 5, 2009, 2:04 pm

I could not wait for this one to get to YouTube. Its about the funniest commercial I have seen in a long while. No apologies for such fun things as a beard in 1858 – its just pure entertainment. And in that it succeeds very well. Makes me want to ask every crowd I happen upon, “Do the people want a response?” Funny as h – e – double toothpicks.

• Chris Meekins Mar 5, 2009, 2:06 pm

Gess that should be “Do the good people want a reply?”

• Kevin Levin Mar 5, 2009, 2:39 pm

It’s a clever ad. Mountain Dew markets to a young generation which suggests that either they believe the Lincoln Bicentennial is making an impact or that their consumers know a bit about Lincoln and the 1850s.

• Crystal Mar 5, 2009, 6:53 pm

You really don’t have to know much to enjoy this ad. Take myself, for instance. I tuned out in all of my American History classes and still find this hilarious. It’s Abe Lincoln posturing and being retarded like MTV stars… I guess the oddity of it is what makes it good.

• Kevin Levin Mar 6, 2009, 2:33 am

Crystal,

You are probably right. I guess I was just trying to be optimistic. 🙂

• Robert Moore Mar 6, 2009, 5:48 am

I saw this ad for the first time about a week ago and found it hilarious. It’s got to be one of the more entertaining Lincoln commercials to come out lately.

• Bob Pollock Mar 6, 2009, 7:33 am

I guess I must be getting old, or maybe my sense of humor is just different, but I just don’t think this is funny. As I’ve said before, to each his own.

• Crystal Marshall Mar 6, 2009, 9:02 am

With all of the seriousness that often surrounds the study of Lincoln and the Civil War, it’s refreshing to have something fun like this every once in a while :0) I think that the real Abraham Lincoln, with his quiet sense of humor, would find this funny as well!

• Kevin Levin Mar 6, 2009, 9:09 am

Crystal,

I couldn’t agree more. What I like is that the commercial is consistent in their marketing to a demographic that embraces high octane sports and risk, and at the same time alludes to Lincoln’s love of wrestling and public displays of strength. Not bad at all.

• Mark Gallagher Mar 22, 2009, 9:04 am

I watched the commercial at least a dozen times; laughed so hard everytime that 2-weeks later, a friend of mine asked me, “what were they selling?”. I laughed so much, I had no damn idea what the commercial was about. I actually had to watch it again to make myself not laugh so I could see what they were selling.

• Dorothy Novick Apr 3, 2009, 3:28 pm

This commercial is a disgrace. Just what the world needs is more violence. What a way to influence young people. It appears your selling hurting people to buy your product

• micheal Jordan Apr 29, 2009, 9:06 am