Facebook Creates Strange Bedfellows

My Facebook profile page is recommending that I “friend” Bill Vallante. Perhaps I can convince him to become a “Fan” of Civil War Memory.

Who is “Wild” Bill Vallante?

Click here and here.

• Glenn Beck's Chalkboard Apr 30, 2010 @ 9:57

“Levinite?” Really?

When your name becomes a collective noun, you know you’ve made it.

• Kevin Levin Apr 30, 2010 @ 10:09

Definitely a badge of honor.

• Margaret D. Blough Apr 30, 2010 @ 10:13

Kevin- We Levanites have to have a gettogether with T-shirts. Maybe we can form a rock group, Kevin and the Levinites (I’ll shake a tambourine; I love and appreciate music too much not to acknowledge my profound personal lack of talent to make it). BTW, how long have you engaged in child-snatching as a career (he rather makes you sound like the Pied Piper)?

• Kevin Levin May 2, 2010 @ 12:14

I think Bill “wildly” exaggerates my impact on things, but it’s nice to know he believes that what I have to say is worth responding to.

• Tim Abbott Apr 30, 2010 @ 11:40

Now you’ve got to set your sights on becoming a verb, as in: “He really Levined that nonsense.” or “Levin this!”

• Paul Taylor Apr 30, 2010 @ 11:52

Reading “Wild Bill’s” missives on Black Confederates prompts me to share the following which I just discovered while doing some other research. My apologies if it’s a well-worn piece of data. Anyway, it’s a proclamation from the 18th Virginia Infantry dated Feb 20, 1865 re Lee’s recent proposal to arm the slaves in the Confederate cause (The Civil War Archive: The History of the Civil War in Documents, p. 582).

The unit states that they have the “most implicit and unlimited confidence” in Lee’s wisdom and patriotism and will “cheerfully acquiesce in the arming of any portion of our slaves” for the common defense if so desired by the Confederate Congress, so that they may resist “the further progress of a devastating and remorseless foe.” HOWEVER, such cooperation will exist “provided that such armed slaves shall form a separate & distinct Corps, and shall not be incorporated with our skeleton Regts.”

They seem to state pretty clearly how they felt about serving alongside the black man.

• Kevin Levin May 2, 2010 @ 12:16

Thanks Paul. I’ve seen this one as well as proclamations from other regiments.

• Marc Ferguson Apr 30, 2010 @ 12:04

“Yankees have never dealt well with rejection.”

Now there’s a great historical argument! How can you dispute such iron-clad logic as this?

;^)

• Robert Moore May 1, 2010 @ 16:47

… and he’s someone he isn’t even descended from a Confederate.

• David Woodbury May 2, 2010 @ 1:54

Why does everyone need to be a “friend” or a “fan” on Facebook? Why can’t you invite some people to be your “adversary,” or your “polar opposite”?

David

• TF Smith May 3, 2010 @ 16:55

The Levinites? Sounds like one of the mythical tribes of the BoM…

Itself quite an exercise in “if”…