Shiloh Hill

Performed by William Lee Golden, with Chris Golden on guitar and Jenee Fleenor on fiddle. Written by M.G. Smith

• James F. Epperson May 16, 2012, 3:04 am

But there aren’t any hills at Shiloh …

• James Bain May 16, 2012, 4:10 am

Walk along Riverside Dr. between the Cemetery and Dill Branch, and you’re liable to change your mind.

I recently learned that’s the area referred to as Shiloh Hill.

• James F. Epperson May 16, 2012, 4:57 am

I’ve biked that route, so can attest to the elevation. Still wouldn’t call it a “hill”—it’s a ravine between two pieces of tableland. And there wasn’t much (if any) fighting there.

• James Bain May 17, 2012, 8:18 am

I agree with your geographic/topological description.
          But, “tableland cut by ravines” is nearly impossible to fit in poetic rhythm, let alone rhyme. 🙂

• Ken Noe May 16, 2012, 4:59 am

And I believe that’s more or less where Smith’s unit, the 2nd Texas, ended up. Jim Taylor sang an old East Tennessee version that converts the narrator into a Union soldier:

“My uniform of blue was turned into a purple red
        When someone on a coming steed did sword me on the head
        I sent a bullet to his heart and as he fell away
        I saw the face of my dear father dressed in bloody gray”

• James Bain May 16, 2012, 9:32 am

So, plenty of poetic license in use. No surprise there…

• London John May 17, 2012, 2:00 am

Joan Baez recorded a song called “the Hills of Shiloh” in her typical style.

• Bjorn Skaptason May 16, 2012, 5:57 am

I haven’t read it yet, but I like how the video is currently adjacent to the ad for Christian McWhirter’s “Battle Hymns.” Shiloh may well have inspired more non-history art than any other battle. I am looking forward to reading that book.

Elton John doesn’t have any Gettysburg songs:-).

• Eric A. Jacobson May 16, 2012, 7:26 am

The cemetery footage of Golden was actually shot in the McGavock Confederate Cemetery in Franklin. They were out last year and all the guys were really great.

• London John May 16, 2012, 10:52 am

Is there any reason to think this version is sung by a Confederate? I thought that ambiguity was rather the point.