Just wanted to give those of you in the Boston area and beyond a heads-up as to where I will be speaking in the next few months. It should come as no surprise that most of these talks will be about my Crater book. I will have books with me and am more than happy to personalize your copy. Luckily, my schedule is still flexible enough that I can add dates if interested so please feel free to contact me.
I am also happy to talk with your group via the Internet. Over the past few years I’ve visited a number of high school and college courses to talk about various topics related to blogging as well as my research. Below is an example of a Skype discussion that I did two years ago with an American Studies class at Skidmore College. The professor assigned my blog as part of their reading and after a week of talking back and forth in the comments section we got together to chat live. I had a blast.
- September 19: Representations of USCTs in Public History, Skype discussion with class in public history at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.
- September 20: Book Signing and Discussion, “Remembering the Battle of the Crater”, Olde Colony Civil War Roundtable, Dedham, Massachusetts
- September 28: Appearance on Civil War Talk Radio with Gerry Prokopowicz (3pm).
- October 10: Book Signing and Discussion, “Remembering the Battle of the Crater”, Merrimack Civil War Roundtable, Newburyport, Massachusetts.
- October 26: Book Signing and Discussion, “Remembering the Battle of the Crater”, Civil War Roundtable of Boston, Waltham, Massachusetts.
- November 1: “Black Confederates Out of the Attic”, Charleston, West Virginia (details forthcoming).
- November 27: Book Signing and Discussion, “Remembering the Battle of the Crater”, New Bedford Civil War Roundtable, New Bedford, Massachusetts
- December 1: “Teaching Glory in the Classroom”, John Brown Lives! Educators’ Workshop
- December 10: “Civil War Memory in a web2.0 World”, Guest lecturer for Nina Silber’s Civil War survey course at Boston University.
- December 19: “Book Signing and Discussion, “Remembering the Battle of the Crater”, Civil War Forum of Metropolitan New York, (NYC).
- March 14-16: The Future of Civil War History: Looking Beyond the 150th, Gettysburg National Military Park and the Civil War Institute at Gettysburg College.
- April 19: “Remembering the Battle of the Crater”, New Hampshire Civil War Roundtable, Epping, New Hampshire.
- April 20: Tour of the Crater battlefield and lecture, Civil War Trust, Regional Teacher Institute (tentative).
- May 15: Book Signing and Talk, “Remembering the Battle of the Crater”, Rhode Island Civil War Round Table, Cranston, RI.