What the Confederate Flag Means to Me

The following video was uploaded yesterday.  It is a wonderful example of the power of social media in shaping Civil War memory.  Of all the social media platforms currently being utilized YouTube has by far gone furthest in allowing individuals the opportunity to contribute to a collective memory landscape.

• Pat Young Dec 6, 2012 @ 13:50

Very moving.

• Brad Dec 6, 2012 @ 16:11

That was very moving, stunning. The perfect answer to the heritage crowd.

• Al Mackey Dec 6, 2012 @ 19:48

Awesome. Powerful. Thanks for posting it, Kevin.

• Bummer Dec 7, 2012 @ 7:53

Great post Kevin. This gentleman said it all. What more can be said. Wow!

Bummer

• paul beard Dec 7, 2012 @ 9:23

I didn’t grow up with that and knew very little about the causes and aftermath of the war of a thousand names. But I see the flag much the same way, as a reminder of a society based on an immoral trade, a divisive hatred and a treasonous rebellion that has been romanticized out of all recognition. Frequent commenter Andy Hall can speak to this better than I could but I learned most of what I know about this period from Ta-Nehisi Coates at the Atlantic and the many threads where he has been involved. The War of 1861-1865 was just the final series of battles in a much longer war. I wish that was more widely taught and understood.

• K.P. Marshall Dec 13, 2012 @ 23:06

I believe that this man is taking up his grievances with the WRONG flag. The incidents he described all took place UNDER THE STARS AND STRIPES…..NOT THE STARS AND BARS. Who can say what a twentieth century Confederate States of America would have been like…..perhaps the CSA would have been a much friendlier place if Yahweh would have granted the South the victory.

• Kevin Levin Dec 14, 2012 @ 3:00

I recommend reading John Coski’s excellent book on the history of the Confederate flag.