Stephen D. Lee Institute Flips Emancipation 150
I just came across the schedule for the upcoming meeting of the Stephen D. Lee Institute in St. Augustin, Florida next month. It should come as no surprise that they decided to focus on the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. A quick glance at the titles of the presentations suggests that participants will be getting a very different perspective on the events that culminated with the proclamation as well as its short- and long-term consequences.
- Donald Livingston — “How the North Failed to Respond to the Moral Challenge of Slavery”
- Thomas Moore — “The War of Emancipation 150 Years Later: How’s that Working Out for You?”
- Kirkpatrick Sale — “Emancipation Hell: The Disaster the Emancipation Proclamation Wrought”
- Marshall De Rosa — “Emancipation in the Confederacy: What the Ruling Class doesn’t want you to know and why”
- Ryan S. Walters — “The Powers of a Usurper: Northern Opposition to Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation”
- Brion McClanahan — “Democracy, Liberty, Equality: Lincoln’s American Revolution”
You just gotta love these titles. I do hope that they make these talks available on video, especially De Rosa’s. There will be a cash bar following the last talk between 4:30 and 6pm. I suggest they move it up to 8am.