It looks like next year I will once again be teaching my Civil War Memory course. I’ve already begun to think about readings as well as class visits to Boston. The class was very popular in Virginia and I especially enjoyed our tours of Richmond, including Monument Avenue, Hollywood Cemetery and Tredegar. At this point I am hoping to organize two separate day trips.
- Mount Auburn Cemetery
- Harvard’s Memorial Hall
- Civil War Memorial on Cambridge Common
- Update: How could I forget the Boston Public Library
- Robert Gould Shaw Memorial
- Soldiers and Sailors Monument on Cambridge Common
- Lincoln/Emancipation Statue, Park Plaza
- Civil War Monument in Jamaica Plain
We shall see whether it is possible to fit in two separate trips. Either way, these are the places that I hope to have students think about in connection to the memory of emancipation and Union, the role of the citizen soldier in the war, and especially the remembrance of death and sacrifice. Feel free to suggest additional sites.