Psychosis of a Civil War Soldier: An Online Course

I know a few of you are currently enrolled in Stephanie McCurry’s online course on slavery and the Civil War. I will be very interested to see how that goes. In the mean time here is another online offering from something called the Center For Historical Research Studies. The following course is being offered by Tim Daniel, who is the center’s director of history.

I don’t think I will be taking this course.

• Ann Kunkle-Jones Jan 28, 2014 @ 6:53

I’m taking Stephanie McCurry’s class. Great lectures and information – a ton of work for me at this point in my life – but I’m all ready learning a lot.

• Kevin Levin Jan 28, 2014 @ 7:48

Great to hear, Ann.

• Charles Bowery Jan 28, 2014 @ 7:17

Come on, Kevin. Sounds quite rigorous.

• Kevin Levin Jan 28, 2014 @ 7:49

OK.

• Kevin Levin Jan 28, 2014 @ 9:21

“Could you live for three or four years with barely any food?” I worry that claims like this lead to statements such as Confederates were all starving in the Petersburg trenches in 1864.

• Mike Hawthorne Jan 28, 2014 @ 8:11

Nothing rigorous about the grammar, although loosing your mind AND your insanity for 10 bucks might be as interesting as staring at the rubber wallpaper in the Hotel Haha for a while.

• Doug didier Jan 31, 2014 @ 8:16

Interesting session at oah conference in jan. Now on YouTube. Shall I say debate. Southern slavery course address by lady from Colorado . After looking at 500+ responses to week one question! I think she can pull this off. With that said, coursera is just not set up for a course like this. Chaos in the forums. At any rate.. Links here to youtube and oah..

Check out this video on YouTube:

How Should Historians Respond to MOOCs?

128th Annual Meeting (January 2-5, 2014): How Should Historians Respond to MOOCs?

How Should Historians Respond to MOOCs?
    AHA Session 105
    Friday, January 3, 2014: 2:30 PM-4:30 PM
    Virginia Suite B (Marriott Wardman Park)
    Chair:
    Elaine K. Carey, St. John’s University
    Panel:
    Jeremy I. Adelman, Princeton University
    Ann Little, Colorado State University–Fort Collins
    Jonathan Rees, Colorado State University–Pueblo
    Philip D. Zelikow, University of Virginia

• Kevin Levin Jan 31, 2014 @ 8:18

Thanks so much for sending this along.