“The Cannon’s Name is Johnny Reb”

I assume this commercial for Remco’s Civil War cannon is from the centennial. Any of you out there own one and, if so, did it really get you the girl? I have my doubts.

[Uploaded to YouTube on March 10, 2017]

• Christian McWhirter Mar 11, 2017 @ 5:37

Fun fact: I met my wife my firing a Confederate cannon at her. I suspect many of you have similar stories.

• Kevin Levin Mar 11, 2017 @ 5:44

I assume you weren’t the same age as the kids in the commercials. 🙂

• Meg Groeling Mar 11, 2017 @ 8:47

Gotta love the little nurse in her whites & cap!

• Andy Hall Mar 11, 2017 @ 9:06

At twelve bucks, that was not a cheap toy (via measuringworth.com):

Current data is only available till 2015. In 2015, the relative price worth of $11.98 from 1961 is:
    $94.90 using the Consumer Price Index
    $74.60 using the GDP deflator

Current data is only available till 2015. In 2015, the relative amount consumers spend worth of $11.98 from 1961 is:
    $119.00 using the value of consumer bundle

Current data is only available till 2015. In 2015, the relative wage or income worth of $11.98 from 1961 is:
    $109.00 using the unskilled wage
    $141.00 using the Production Worker Compensation
    $219.00 using the nominal GDP per capita

Current data is only available till 2015. In 2015, the relative output worth of $11.98 from 1961 is:
    $384.00 using the relative share of GDP

• James Owen Mar 11, 2017 @ 16:37

LoL! Looks like fun!

• David Tatum Jr Mar 12, 2017 @ 3:57

I had one, I gave it to my grandson. Gotta protect the home front !

• David Tatum Jr Mar 12, 2017 @ 5:07

Mr. Tatum,

I don’t mind approving a harmless comment, but please don’t expect me to approve a link to your website on which you have trashed me in the past.

CWM

• Neil Hamilton Mar 12, 2017 @ 17:52

I had one too, but I renamed mine Billy Yank!

• hankc9174 Mar 13, 2017 @ 4:26

also from the 60’s: I wonder how many eyes were put out by that cannon.

• bob carey Mar 13, 2017 @ 16:29

I wonder why there weren’t any Black Confederate cannoneers portrayed in the commercial, Kevin maybe you can research this oversight on the part of Remco.
    BTW I am old enough to remember this toy and the commercial.

• Pete Oct 1, 2017 @ 20:43

Well I just bought one of these with 4 plastic cannonballs and in working condition for $7 at the local Goodwill. It does shoot the cannonball around 30 plus feet!