Black Confederates at Antietam National Battlefield

I’ve always been just a little jealous of those of you whose connection to the Civil War  can be traced back to a family visit to a Civil War battlefield or through reading a book such as the American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War. For me it was a random visit to the Antietam National Battlefield back in 1994 when I was in my mid-20s. At the time I possessed no understanding of the battle or the Civil War.

That visit changed my life.

Over the past few months I have seen Searching for Black Confederates in bookstores, museums, and at historic sites, but you can imagine the smile that came across my face when I saw this pic of the Antietam bookstore.

Once again, thanks to all of you for your support. Have a restful and enjoyable Thanksgiving.

• Paul ONeil Nov 27, 2019 @ 8:09

For me it was being 10 in 1961. Then the AMERICAN HERITAGE book and trips to Gettysburg with my Dad and younger brothers.

• Roger Watson Nov 27, 2019 @ 8:58

Back in 1987 or so and a chance stop at Gettysburg coming up the Valley after a visit to the Great Smokies. Research in my family that had already been done 50 years before showed a cousin killed on Little Round Top during the 2nd day’s fighting. Needless to say, my interest has been continual since.

• Eric S Nov 28, 2019 @ 12:26

I grew up in Maryland but sadly it wasn’t until my father in law from England came to visit that I went to Antietam and Gettysburg. His fascination was contagious. Since then I have had a ravenous interest in the Civil War and it’s true history. Thanks for this book it is incredibly useful in my discussions on the subject of the war.

• Kevin Levin Nov 28, 2019 @ 12:38

Glad to hear it.

• CliosFanBoy Nov 29, 2019 @ 8:31

FYI, your “Black Confederates” book was recommended in a recent Smithsonian article about “must read” books of 2019.

• Kevin Levin Nov 29, 2019 @ 8:40