One of the most enjoyable aspects of my job as an educator and public historian is the opportunity to share my love of history with a wide range of audiences. Over the past fifteen years I have delivered talks at academic conferences, Civil War round tables, history education workshops, schools and a host of other settings throughout much of the country.
Unless otherwise noted, all upcoming dates are in support of my latest book, Searching for Black Confederates: The Civil War’s Most Persistent Myth. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to schedule an event.
- April 24: “Searching for Black Confederate Soldiers,” Civil War Round Table of Central Massachusetts, Holden, MA.
- June 14: “The Last Confederate Monuments: The Myths and Lies We Tell About Loyal Slaves and Black Confederates,” Auburn University. (more info.)
- July 21-26, Teacher Workshop on Reconstruction and Historical Memory, Ford’s Theater, Washington, D.C. (more info.)
- August 7-9: Teacher Workshop on Reconstruction, Massachusetts Historical Society, Boston, MA. (more info.)
- September 18: Massachusetts Historical Society, Boston, MA.
- September 24: National Archives, Washington, D.C.
- September 25: Teacher Workshop on monuments and memorials at American Civil War Museum, Richmond, Virginia. (more info.)
- September 26: Hood College (co-sponsored with The Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area, Frederick, MD.
- September 28: Tour of the Gettysburg battlefield with a focus on the experience of Confederate body servants (details to come), Gettysburg, PA.
- September 30: University of Maryland at Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD.
- October 1: Virginia Museum of History & Culture, co-sponsored with American Civil War Museum, Richmond, Virginia. (more info.)
- October 3-4: Teacher workshop, book talk and signing at National Humanities Center, Raleigh, NC.
- October 24: Longfellow House-Washington’s Headquarters, Cambridge, MA. (more info.)
- October 28: North Carolina State University, Raleigh NC.
- October 29: The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
- November 4: Royall House & Slave Quarters, Medford, MA (more info.)
- January 15: Rhode Island Civil War Round Table, Cranston, RI. (more info.)
- January 24: Harrisburg Civil War Round Table, Book Talk and Signing, Harrisburg, PA. (more info.)
- February 4: Filson Historical Society, Louisville, KY.
- June 12-17: Civil War Institute at Gettysburg College, Gettysburg College. (more info.)
Excellent! I have been involved with studying U.S. History since the 4th grade, taught it for two decades, and was a History Department chair for nearly ten years. With all of that, I sat there enraptured and completely enveloped in your presentation. Thanks for giving all of us much to think about.” — Ralph Van Inwagen, Assistant Head of School, Gann Academy
Kevin is a veteran member of the Civil War Institute summer conference faculty, and is one of the most versatile speakers in our bullpen. Over the past few years, he’s led breakout sessions on a wide variety of topics, participated in panel discussions on the main stage, and facilitated small-group investigations of primary source materials. He’s also worked closely with our high school student scholarship program, leading intensive discussions on historical memory and history and new media. Kevin’s programs are extremely popular with our attendees. — Jill Titus, Assistant Director, Civil War Institute at Gettysburg College
There is no better opportunity for students and the general public to connect with the the past than when on site with a guide who can share what took place and encourage thoughtful reflection. I have led students to some of the most important historical sites of the civil rights movement in Atlanta, Montgomery, Jackson, and Memphis. I also regularly guide students and teachers to Civil War sites in Richmond, Washington, D.C. as well as popular battlefields in Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Petersburg, and Sharpsburg.
Here in Boston I offer tours of the city’s Civil War monuments to the general public as well as history educators and students.
Have questions or want to check my availability? Contact me here.