I’ve seen this image floating around over the past few days on various social media channels after it was featured during an American Historical Association Session this past weekend in New York City. The session was titled: “Buying and Selling History: Some Perspectives on the Marketplace” and the image was posted by Marla Miller on Twitter.
I can’t say there are any surprises. Here is what I see.
- Most of the authors are journalists
- Overwhelmingly male
- Television/radio personalities can leverage large/loyal audiences
- Subjects lean toward the Whiggish
- Mostly top-down history
- History is politics and vice versa
- Bonus: Many titles empower their readers
What do you see?