Cell Phones in Cafes

I own a cell phone, but most of the time I can’t tell you where it is and I honestly cannot remember the number.  You see, I hate talking on the phone, but more importantly, the idea of using it in a public space such as a cafe is absolutely abhorrent to me.  So, here I am sitting in a cafe grading papers and this women is yapping away with no care in the world and with no sense that those around her may not be interested in what her son is eating for breakfast.  Since I can’t say this directly to her, allow me to vent: SHUT THE F–K UP!

9 thoughts on “Cell Phones in Cafes

1. ChuckO

Something I’ve tried to very satisfying effect. If someone is talking on the cell phone, putting their business out before the world, then mimic them in a humorous way, or start making comments out loud on the content of their conversation. The couple of times I’ve done that, it brought an end to the call.

2. Larry Cebula

I used to feel the same way, but realized I was not being rational. My zen moment came via a Dilbert cartoon where Dilbert’s date is complaining about people who talk on cell phones at restaurants. Dilbert asks her if she also objects to people talking to each other in restaurants.

Dilbert’s dates never go very well.

3. Kevin Levin

Very good advice Chuck.

Larry, — I don’t have a problem with two people talking face-to-face, even if they are loud, but I don’t think that makes me irrational.

4. d

Nice language coming from a teacher.

Oh, fuck. Only a non-teacher would somehow believe that teaching isn’t the most foul-mouthed profession this side of piracy.

That said, I can only agree with this post 150 fucking percent.

5. John Walsh

AMEN! You cannot find a single coffee shop on the Northwestern Campus where someone is not yapping on a cell phone.

6. Billy Markland

Rather the cafe than on the interstate (having lived in the greater Richmond area before, you don’t need more numbskulls on those!). Something about a cell phone to the ear of a driver short-circuits the connections within the brain.

Perhaps it is a form of Darwinism?

First time visitor, courtesy of J.D. & Eric’s links. I enjoy your comments although I am a bit shocked to see someone from Bertie County, NC posting as I am originally from across the river (Roanoke) in Martin County and did not know that they had finally received that shipment of One Laptop Per Child PCs 🙂 .

Be good,