What happens when you put into practice on a local level the principle behind states rights and Jeffersonian Democracy? Well, according to these folks you’ve violated one of the central pillars of Southern Heritage. Some of my favorite quotes of the day:
- From what I’ve been told (and from the “no-response” I received from the Lexington Chamber of Commerce) I don’t think we have a prayer of support from the business community. The whole town is gone, frankly, and should be boycotted. If folks go to pay respect to Lee and Jackson, they should go through the town, pay their respects and leave. Maybe a sign on their car – we don’t support scalawags and carpetbaggers so we don’t shop in Lexington – might get the point across, but who knows? These people are blind to anything but their ideology.
- I’m thinking about massive, massive “pilgrimages” to pay respects to Lee and Jackson maybe four times a year; and I mean huge crowds — who don’t spend one red cent in the city.
- You should also advocate that others join in this boycott of that city too.
I for one know I never intend to go there…except maybe for Lee/Jackson Day, and even then NOT ONE DOLLAR of my money is going to Miss Elrod’s coffers or those of the trash that put her in high office.
- Amen!! I’ll stand with ya’ll…locked and loaded too…Lees do not start fights (unless they need to be started…LOL), but we sure as heck give the fight all we got!! John is right (see prayer below)…satan works to discourage God’s people…the closer to God our hearts, the harder we will be attacked…so, I say, BRING IT…I am a Daughter of the South and a soldier in God’s Army…and I do NOT back down ;o)
- Our Father, Thank you for another day in which we can serve you! Thank you for strength to stand tall for truth! Thank you for such a great salvation that purchases for each one that trusts you as Lord and Savior, a home in heaven – with you – for eternity! Help us, I pray, to realize that Satan’s tactics never really change. While he might use closed minds and brute force to seemingly get his way, the light of truth cannot be extinguished through his tactics. May we be reminded that on the day that it appeared to the world that he had won, that you brought about your greatest victory by revealing your redemptive purpose by rising from the grave 3 days later! Thank you for being the champion of TRUTH!
- Well, I sure am glad I have been to see Gen Lee’s final resting place there because i will never go back to that hsitoric city anymore. I guess with all the discrimination us Southerners have to endure we now have to endure the loss of our First Ammendment right.
Oh, what a complex web of Civil War memory we weave.