RIP Marc Ferguson

Union Soldier in Forrest Hills Cemetery by Milmore

Over the years I’ve come to consider a small number of you as part of my online family.  I read your comments with great interest and I’ve learned a great deal as a result.  Our online communities are all too often shaped by the worst elements in our society such as ignorance, hatred, and  dishonesty.  I like to think that Civil War Memory is a place where you can exchange ideas and engage one another in a thoughtful way.

With that in mind I am sad to report that over the weekend Marc Ferguson passed away.  Marc was a frequent commenter here going back almost to the beginning. I could always count on Marc to leave a thoughtful and challenging comment in response to my posts.  During the research phase of my Crater project he emailed links to online collections and other resources he thought I should check out.  Marc was incredibly helpful when I moved to Boston.  He suggested places to visit and even offered helpful advice once I began to look for employment.

I knew Marc was sick, but we still talked about getting together.  Unfortunately, that did not happen.  I am going to miss having Marc around as I know many of you will as well.  My thoughts today are with his family.

17 thoughts on “RIP Marc Ferguson

1. Margaret D. Blough

Thank you, Kevin. That was very moving and I’m sure captured the feelings of many of us. I know it did mine. My deepest condolences to Marc’s family and friends.

2. Arleigh Birchler

I had many good conversations with Cousin Marc. We discussed many subjects off-group from the various blogs and other cyber-groups. I will miss talking with him.

3. Pingback: News and Notes: September 23, 2012 « Crossroads

4. Don Shaffer

Dear Kevin: thanks for letting us know about Marc’s passing, however awful the news. He took a kindly interest in my blog and was a great sounding board for ideas, good and bad. Like you, I never met in him in person, but his virtual presence was a welcome one and more. He will be missed.

Best,

Don

5. Rob Wick

Marc was the true definition of a gentleman. His emphasis on exposing bad history for what it was should be a lesson for all us who claim the mantle of being a historian. Your tribute is moving.

Best
    Rob

Go over to his Facebook page for some moving tributes. It took me by surprise as well. I was so looking forward to meeting Marc at some point. Very sad news, indeed.

6. Arleigh Birchler

James, I could tell you what little I know, if you can contact me off group. Perhaps Kevin or Brooks already shared what I know.

7. Chuck

I knew Marc only through Facebook and a few e-mail conversations. He was a gentle and kind man. I wish we that we had been able to meet as we had hoped. I’ll miss him.

8. Lyle Smith

Really sad to hear this news. I didn’t always agree with Marc, but I enjoyed reading his commentary.

Condolences to his family and friends.

9. Pingback: The Passing of Marc Ferguson « Dead Confederates, A Civil War Era Blog

10. John Buchanan

What a crying shame and a tragic loss. Like many here I always enjoyed his comments.

Condolences and prayers to his friends and family.

11. Arleigh Birchler

Marc and I disagreed on somethings, but not many. He was always willing to talk, and he actually listened and did not make assumptions. Life was not a zero sum game for him.

12. Olivia Ferguson

Thank you for writing this tribute. As the daughter of this wonderful man, it is heartwarming to see that he is remembered. This is not what he strived to achieve though, only wanting to spread knowledge and understanding. He was always a person that I could have long, in-depth conversations with even when I was very young. He valued my input and I think this translated into his work as a teacher. He was so passionate about history and teaching. Even in his last days, he tried to consume new information and keep his blog updated. He will forever be someone I look up to. Every day I strive to be even a tenth of the person he was.

“In the end, It’s not the years in your life that counts, it’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln

Olivia Ferguson

Dear Olivia,

Thanks for taking the time to write. I never met your father, but everything you’ve shared resonates with my limited interaction with Marc online. He was incredibly helpful during my move to Boston a few years ago and I only regret that we never had the opportunity to meet in person. Do take care.

Sincerely,