All five presentations from this year’s Civil War symposium held recently at the Library of Virginia are now available for viewing via C-SPAN. The event was titled, “The Road from Appomattox: Political Violence, Military Conflict, and National Reunion”. They are all worth watching.
- Edward L. Ayers, “Reckoning with Reconstruction and Its Sesquicentennial”
- Douglas Egerton, “The Black Activism and the Wars of Reconstruction”
- Mark Grimsely, “U.S. Military Conduct in the Civil War and Reconstruction“
- Caroline Janney, “The Civil War, the Spanish-American War and (the Limits of) National Reconciliation“
- Gary Gallagher, “Robert E. Lee’s Surrender“
The event was organized by the American Civil War Museum in Richmond, the John L. Nau III Center for Civil War History at the University of Virginia and The Library of Virginia.