My Next Book Project

After weighing a number of things I have decided to write about the history and memory of Robert Gould Shaw for my next book project. It is a project that will look closely at two very different individuals.

Additional questions? Feel free to fire away in the comments section below.

• Good choice! When do you anticipate finishing the book?

• LOL. Thanks for the enthusiastic response. While I have been thinking about Shaw for years I have only gotten down to doing serious research in the past week. Spent a day at the Boston Athenaeum reading letters to Shaw’s mother after his death at Wagner and I have read all of his published letters in Duncan’s Blue-Eyed Child of Fortune. In the next few months I am going to write up a book proposal and begin looking for a publisher. I am also planning on writing up an article for one of the Civil War magazines about Shaw’s relationship with Colonel James M. Montgomery, who is featured as a villain in Glory.

At this point it is too early to say when it will be finished, but I have to say that I am very excited about this project. Of course, I will keep everyone updated as to my progress. Thanks again.

• I always thought Broderick did a great job in that film.

• I agree completely. In fact, I agree even more having just finished reading his personal correspondence. Obviously, there are issues with the film, which will be explored in the section of the book on memory.

• Thanks for not doing Elmer Ellsworth! Huzzah!

• When can we reserve copies? BTW, will you be at the AHA in DC??

I enjoyed “Glory” although sometimes I still think of it as “Ferris Buehler Frees the Slaves.” I have used the Antietam amputation scene in classes.

• When can we reserve copies?

Once again, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I just started researching.

I haven’t been to an AHA in over ten years. Have fun.

• Sounds quite interesting!

• I am looking forward to your book having read the others on Shaw you mentioned.

• Hi Kevin – I thought I read sometime back that you were working on editing a collection of letters pertaining to the 55th (?) Massachusetts. Did you set that aside or has it morphed into something else?

• It didn’t pan out for a number of reasons.