New to the Civil War Memory Library, 03/31

I have officially run out of shelf space. More drastic measures to soon follow.

Antony Beevor, The Fall of Berlin 1945 (Penguin, 2002).

Barbara L. Bellows, Two Charlestonians at War: The Civil War Odysseys of a Lowcountry Aristocrat and a Black Abolitionist (Louisiana State University Press, 2018).

Waldo Heinrichs and Marc Gallicchio, Implacable Foes: War in the Pacific 1944-1945 (Oxford University Press, 2017). Bancroft Prize Winner

Caroline Janney ed., Petersburg to Appomattox: The End of the War in Virginia (University of North Carolina Press, 2018).

Ethan J. Kytle and Blain Roberts, Denmark Vesey’s Garden: Slavery and Memory in the Cradle of the Confederacy (The New Press, 2018).

Timothy J. Williams and Evan A. Kutzler eds., Prison Pens: Gender, Memory, and Imprisonment in the Writings of Mollie Scollay and Wash Nelson, 1863-1866 (The University of Georgia Press, 2018).

• Louis Drew Mar 31, 2018 @ 3:56

I stack ’em on the floor, but now our new Great Dane has started to eat them…

• Kevin Levin Mar 31, 2018 @ 4:02

I’ve got three cats so that’s not going to work here. I also don’t mind admitting that I am a stickler for an ordered library.

• Paul J O'Neil Mar 31, 2018 @ 4:45

Face it Ken, time to buy a bigger house.

• Rob Wick Mar 31, 2018 @ 5:29

Kevin,

Not only have I run out of shelf space, I’ve run out of space for shelves. I gave 12 boxes of books to Goodwill recently just to make room for the new books I bought.

My favorite book story is of a couple (I can’t remember where) who had so many books they bought the house next door, built a breezeway between the two, and used the second house to store their collection.

Best
    Rob

• HankC Mar 31, 2018 @ 9:50

I’ve been doubling up for a while: a row of short books in front of the taller ones.

plus i’m considering down-sizing to the local library.

• Michael C. Hardy Mar 31, 2018 @ 13:08

We bought a new house in October 2017 due to the growth of our collection.

MCH

• Kevin Levin Mar 31, 2018 @ 13:23

No doubt to fit all of the books that you have authored as well. 🙂

• Msb Mar 31, 2018 @ 22:32

2 suggestions:
    – go through the whole collection and do a cull (I do this at least once a year)
    – get Ivar shelves from Ikea, much less elegant than those in the photo, but much more efficient at packing the max number of books into the available space.

• Kevin Levin Apr 1, 2018 @ 2:22

We’re not there quite yet. 🙂

• Pat Young Apr 2, 2018 @ 15:17

With all those books, do you have five favorites on Reconstruction or an aspect thereof.

• Brad Apr 6, 2018 @ 18:56

Interesting that you’re reading one of Beevor’s book. Have you read any others? Both Berlin and Stalingrad are good and the Spanish Civil War is a good history. Haven’t read his Bulge book yet.

• Kevin Levin Apr 7, 2018 @ 2:39

I am fascinated with the final months of the war for a number of reasons. This is the only book that I have read, but will definitely consider others given how much I enjoyed it.